Stonington Gallery seeks a Creative Gallery Assistant with a Marketing Focus to join our small team. Must be an outgoing and professional team player with superb writing and communication skills and be eager to make art sales. We seek a self-starter, not only adept at graphic design, media releases, and social media content creation, but one comfortable working collaboratively to support all the ins and outs it takes to run a successful art gallery.
We seek a team-oriented creative with:
· Excellent communication and writing skills.
· Prior customer service experience in retail sales and knowledge of gallery best practices.
· Eagerness to interact with the public to educate, represent, and sell artwork.
· Familiarity and savvy with social media platforms and current creative engagement strategies.
· Patience to learn an unfamiliar, and somewhat finicky, art inventory POS system.
· Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, hit deadlines, and be able to work both independently and collaboratively with warmth, good humor, and grace.
· Keen attention to detail, focus, and calm in a fast-paced, high-energy environment.
· Confidence in researching issues independently and following through to solutions, while always feeling comfortable asking questions.
This position helms the gallery’s marketing and promotion. If you are hired, you will:
· Work hand in hand with the gallery director to send beautiful, informative, educational, and well-designed emails promoting our monthly exhibits.
· Produce graphics for monthly exhibit promotion and occasional print/web advertising.
· Create engaging social media content across multiple social profiles, multiple times a week, including regular replies to messages and comments.
· Gather information and write about exhibits to send media releases to press outlets in as timely a manner as is possible.
· Respond to calls for art with enticing and attractive art proposals, and create similar targeted packets for corporation collections, museums, hotels, and hospitals when relevant.
· Maintain Stonington’s profile on various other websites including Pioneer Square, Art Access, Seattle Deconstructed Art Fair, SEArt Now, Refract, etc.
· Conduct video recorded Zoom interviews with artists followed by basic video editing and publishing to YouTube.
· Assist with daily sales.
Additional desired skills:
· Knowledge about or lived experience within the cultures of the Pacific Northwest Coast Indigenous peoples, and familiarity with contemporary art and artists in the field.
The required hours:
We are looking to find the perfect candidate willing to work hard and be dedicated to the success of our gallery. The job hours are Tues-Sat 10-5 plus First Thursday Art Walk until 8pm+.
Includes health and vacation benefits.
Salary is based on an average 37 hours per hour work week (35 most weeks, with the extra hours on First Thursday).
If you are the perfect person for the job and want to work only part-time, let’s discuss.
Please email your resume, cover letter, and a selection of applicable materials (graphic design, writing samples, and video).